Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Crabnek The Helpful

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Crabnek The Helpful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The death of e3

According to Reuters, the Entertainment Software Association is saying that it plans to shrink, refocus, and move E3 from its traditional home at the L.A. convention center. "The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago," Lowenstein said. in the article, "It is no longer necessary or efficient to have a single industry 'mega-show."' Oh Mr. Lowenstein, since when has videogaming been about "efficiency" or "necessity"?
I'll be the first to admit that E3 was mad this year. With over 60,000 attendees, it was difficult to get time with some of the people you wanted to speak with, or even some of the games. The several hour lines to see the Nintendo Wii kept many journalists from seeing the machine at all.

Apparently the plan is to make E3 smaller, and to move it to different venues around LA. Yup, you read it right. E3 will not be held at one central location. Ugh. Why have it in LA at all then? As much as I like la-la land, it's a pain to get around with mediocre public transportation and few cabs. Seriously, if you aren't going to use the convention center, doesn't it make sense to put E3 in a city with a subway/light rail or at least cabs?

The complaints from developers and publishers is that it has become to difficult to actually meet with the people they want to meet with, and that it is disruptive to the development cycle. Both are legitimate complaints. A smaller E3 does make sense. I can't tell you how many press appointments I had that we combined with or bumped by "press" that had little or nothing to do with gaming. Many of the people on booth tours with me did not take notes, pictures, and did very little other than take up time and space. While I realize it's a real treat for part-time game testers to get to go to E3, I'm not sure Sony and Microsoft are paying millions at the show so they can meet with them. No offense, I've worked as a game tester myself, but time is limited and there are always a whole lot more people at the show who are there for kicks rather than work.

All that aside, E3 is the media spectacle it is because it's absurd. Magazines and websites are still going on about this past E3. Is it expensive, hot, and smelly? (Did every hotel shower in L.A. break?) Yes, but the madness is a form of generosity. It shows us that game publishers care about our opinions. The new mini-E3, with 10,000 or so participants, simply won't generate the press or capture the imagination of the public the way the previous years did. E3 was a grand spectacle, much like red carpet events and film festivals for film. It was a public statement that gaming is a massive industry capable of partying larger than Hollywood or TV could ever dream of doing.

E3, you were a good friend to gamers around the globe. We will miss your massive booths, righteous swag, beautiful booth babes, and even your stench. So long old friend, you'll be missed.

SFO's Comic Relief!! ^_^
Crabnek The Helpful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough

E3 = pointless... basically top companys like Sony just wasted money promoting their new hardware/software at E3.. when they could actually save money by having private/semi-private promoting and with better results since there would be more time to get things ready unlike a big rush they would have to do for E3.. also they wouldnt have to worry about overly promoting to try and out "look" someone like microsoft or nintendo since they are all at E3 aswell... so basically it works out for the best...

rewopzmaI
Zpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Crabnek The Helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Don't say that. If you ever saw E3 you would know it is something people all around the globe love. Me included. It is a time when you can FINALLY dress up as your favorite video game character and not get ridiculed for it. A time when you can see beautiful booth babes and play previews of new games. A time when you can play new consoles that are not even out yet. A time when nerds and geeks can all meet without being beat up, because they are around hundreds of other geeks and nerds. E3 is something that many people have loved for a while now. Seeing it die has crushed so many people. So don't say such things about such an epic event. For I shall not stand for it.

SFO's Comic Relief!! ^_^
Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
LAB~MONSTER
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
LAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutLAB~MONSTER has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Zpower @ Aug. 06 2006,15:58)]E3 = pointless... basically top companys like Sony just wasted money promoting their new hardware/software at E3.. when they could actually save money by having private/semi-private promoting and with better results since there would be more time to get things ready unlike a big rush they would have to do for E3.. also they wouldnt have to worry about overly promoting to try and out "look" someone like microsoft or nintendo since they are all at E3 aswell... so basically it works out for the best...
That is not true. E# is not point less its all advertisement. Making your game known can be a good investment when the game actually comes out.

Thank you Trunks
LAB~MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
GangstaGoose
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 5
GangstaGoose is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with LAB~MONSTER, even though I haven't actually got the chance to watch E3. I heard it was good. O_O
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
LegacyofKain
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
LegacyofKain is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps i'm from another planet or something but doesn't the first post of this thread say E3 is being scaled down and shown over a wider area as opposed to just one place.

E3 isn't dying

LegacyofKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
blockattack
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 3
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1181
blockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to all
Visit blockattack's Facebook Visit blockattack's Twitter Visit blockattack's YouTube

Alot of people look forward to that..
Its not pointless.. basically people whos lives revolve around games..programmers/testers/gamers/businesses need to see what they'll promote..and they can do that by going to e3 b4 the product is actually released.

Need to contact blocky?
blockattack@streetfighteronline.com

blockattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
alamgir
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
alamgir is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't go to show to look at it from a host's point of view...

E3 won't die but will be largly scaled down. Sadly (or not for some), this was proposed as a means of making E3 a more "intimate" event.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
LegacyofKain
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Besides whether we admit it or not E3 lets us know about upcoming games,things to be looking out for-it's kinda like the xmas of the gaming world because thats when all the new stuff is shown.

Altohugh yes it is jsut an advertising propelled event,it doesn't mean it's pointless.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
DA_VIPA
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
DA_VIPA is an unknown quantity at this point

i wish e3 came to london.. =(
Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
BabyLugia
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
BabyLugia is an unknown quantity at this point

wha?

BabyLugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3107
SolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of light

how come E3 only stay on the west coast? never tours the US?

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted...

Elder Veteran (2001-2002)
SolidSnake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
unholy_fighter
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
unholy_fighter is an unknown quantity at this point

solid i agree

unholy_fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
LegacyofKain
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (DA_VIPA @ Aug. 06 2006,18:28)]i wish e3 came to london.. =(
lol yeah,makes you wanna tell these guys from LA to STOP MOANING,at least you used to have it lol the rest of the world hasn't ever had it.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
Crabnek The Helpful

Post Thanks / Like

SFO's Comic Relief!! ^_^
Old 08-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #16
abdulhaqq
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
abdulhaqq is an unknown quantity at this point

its gone NO!!!!!!!!!
abdulhaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
jasonthekidd11

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 23
jasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enoughjasonthekidd11 will become famous soon enough

wow that sucks i loved going to youtube and seeing all the new stuff like ps3 convention at e3 or the nintendo Wii line that takes forever to reach the front
FRom what i heard it will still be open but to only special guests and stuff (if youalready said this my bad)

7/7/7
11/11/11
jasonthekidd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
~Mastermax~
VIP

Location: Fetus of God (it's a level from darkstalkers, smartass!)
Post Thanks / Like
~Mastermax~ is an unknown quantity at this point

meh i blame large companies that only care about making money (this is mainly microsoft's fault, they were bitching about too many people and journalists).

as for the problem of transportation and whatnot, it will never ever be a problem for any of the public, because they are hardly letting journalists in now. they are trying to make it an event for only for the companies.

damn western companies messing up the video game industry again...

CLICK ME
~Mastermax~ is offline   Reply With Quote