SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > Street Fighter Online > General Comments & Strategies

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue specific to me, perhaps Tsunami Bugs and Problems report 6 04-11-2009 02:25 AM
character specific mcodes?! #1sakurafan New Features 5 12-26-2008 04:48 PM
character specific mcodes? #1sakurafan New Features 2 11-16-2008 10:39 PM
New servers rvca General Comments & Strategies 5 08-26-2006 10:33 PM

Old 10-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
SSJKarma
Banned

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice
Default Re: Specific servers...

well i was discussing with tmyapp about a few idea's for the expert/turbo default thing and we came onto something that might solves a few of our problems !

he told me to create this between us and then pass it onto the public and see if they have idea for it. so here it goes for you... an example of what i mean is this...

DAWN OF RAGE = server with timers and helpers off
BACKUP SERVER = server with everything off
GLOBAL SERVER = chat only

or things like that...
as long as its not very hard to do he is willing to try it.
this kind of servers would actually solves two of our problems...
1 - the lag, less people in the servers means less lag.
2 - people would have a reason to join the other servers !

as you can already see we already got something lke that which is the tournament server but can we transform the other servers into something else ?

the only idea i get is to tranform one server into a CLASSIC server...
as in NO HELPERS, NO SUPERS, RYU ONLY.
i just don't know if that RYU only would be possible but heck some users been asking for this kind of play since 2002 so i was wondering if it was possible !

anyway that's my suggestion, anybody got other things to say about it ?
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
Nferno666

Tournaments Joined: 2
Tournaments Won: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 512
Nferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really niceNferno666 is just really nice

it sounds like a good idea but the only thing i disagree on is a "chat only" server...the server along takes alot of CPU priority and i forone would not want to host a server that ppl can only chat in...there are OTHER places for like the yahoo chats, MSN etc...

as for your "classic server" theory, back in the days we DID have supers and helpers but i guess it would be somewhat of a OK match with NOTHING, maybe then all the ryu punch bugs will return and you can corner someone to death with infinite punches and take 75% health from 1 dragon punch

old school XMVSSF was fun back in the days but i don't think i could ever play in the same stipulations ever again since it was turbo back in those days BUT turbo was really normal mode and god knows what the hell normal was since i never wanted that mode picked and would totally go berzerker on the ******* that picked that mode. and i for one can't stand normal mode because it takes 10-15 mins to finish a match that goes so slow you can talk to ppl on Messengers and fight at the same time since it takes forever for ones moves to complete.

XMVSSF/SFO Record: Wins: 24,549(94.12%) Losses: 1,534(5.88%) Total: 26,083 As of 02/07/12
Nferno666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

well as mentionned tmyapp wants us to discuss it and see what we can come up with... so i was barely giving idea's !

feel free to think of other ways !
if we can't say much more then i will put this in the public forums and see what the crowds wants with that !
Old 10-23-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
blanka09

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 103
blanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enough

I don't really mind any of the ideas, but it would mean that some of the servers would get pounded more than the others because a whole bunch of players would want to play that sorta game style the server that doesn't have the variable style would have less amount of people.

And then there's the chat only server. I really don't think that's a good idea. For one thing, it'll promote chances for some of the foolish kids to cyber... and not to mention the fact that hosting a server does torture ur memory... so it's no point hosting a server where people would do nothing but just come in to chat. They have chat room and messenger services for that

That's just my 4 and a half cents.

blanka09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

as mentionned above, it was all just an example... i too dislike th eidea of a chat only server !
but think of it this way... it might populate other servers more, but in the end it will still be lower then what is hapenning right now !

i mean th eguy gets to choose the server he will plays in... i know that on about 50 persons on the DOR server, they will split up in about 25/10/15 because on 50 players ont he same server none wants to play the same thing !

one thing for sure, there should be a server for tag and a server for 1 on 1 that is for sure...
that would actually get the servers max counts down quite a bit.
otherwise a third server should be classic mode, as in like how STREET FIGHTER II was played... or at least that's how i have been explained of.

so what do you say ?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i moved this here, since its clear that the mods aren't against it, tmyapp wanted me to put this in and see what you guys wants it do !

after all we want to do this for you guys/girls...
so give us your opinion of this... give new idea's as well what i mentionned here isn't all that can happen its just what happenned to have come by my mind !

so go for it, we're open for idea's !
Old 10-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
l
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
l is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys have some good idea's but to really solve the problem just make 1 server for a chat only. the rest like no helpers and no time We can take off already the biggest probelm pepole are having is pepole picking normal or turbo so I think it's a good idea if you guys just make it so after picking your pepole and the speeds popup make it so that its already on exspert speed so that way they don't even have to touch the speed unless they wanna play on normal or turbo. ^_~
l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
TrueSpawn
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
TrueSpawn is an unknown quantity at this point

I know my opinion wont count for much, but i seriously oppose the idea of servers for certain game styles. Cause what happens when nobody is in the server that has the game u like? You wont be able to play the game that you want, you'll have to play by someone elses rules. The best part about sfo is that you can go into a server, and join a variety of different games. There are many stipulations and joining games can be fun because you never know what to expect. To have an all 1 v 1 server or an all tag server would basically be forcing people to play the game a certain way, which is not cool. There are to many people that like the game a certain way to try and force 1 particular way of play on them. I know you guys will problaly responed and be like "Well if you want to play a game with helpers/tag/whatever, just go to that server" but what happens when nobody is in that server? I will have no choice but to find a server that has people in it, and play by whatever rules there are in that server. If you want to add a chat only server, that's fine, but keep the other servers the way they are, because even though it may sound good for some of you, all you are really doing is forcing your preferred style of play on a lot of people.

As for the xpert default mode, i am actually kind of for this. The day expert came out i HATED it. It was to fast and it gave me a headache from moving so fast. Eventually, i got used to it and now it is my preferred mode of play. However, the only problem with this is what are newcommers and people who havent played this game in awhile supposed to do? People who play this game a lot are used to it, but anyone who gets on this game for the first time or comes back after a long absence will have trouble adjusting to the insanely fast speed. If you dont know what character you want and you get stuck with the computer choose for you, you will have an extra chip stacked against you when you see your opponent flying around the screen like a madman. Like i said, i prefer expert and all, but to keep this game fair to EVERYONE (not just those who consider themselves "elite") Turbo should remain the default mode.

You have to remember a lot of people that post on this forum aren't "normal" everyday sfo players. They have either been on sfo for awhile, or have otherwise adapated themselves to an unspoken set of rules not found in the regular game. If you want to live by those rules, fine go ahead but dont FORCE people to adapt to a game style that YOU see fit. That is the only thing making separate servers with different stipulations will do. It will force people to play whatever is popular at the moment, because we will have to go to whatever server has the most ppl in it at the time. If the SMALL amount of ppl that post on this forum want to control the MASS amount of people that only play the actual game, that's your business..but i dont wanna hear anybody say that this game is "fair and balanced to everyone" if that is the case.

Till next time.....
TrueSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
(li)
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
(li) is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Specific servers...

Truespawn, truespawn Truespawn....

You are so right and than again you are so wrong.
First of all you say that the servers should remain as they are now and I definitly argee with you on that one.
Nevertheless expert mode should definitly be made default.
You can easyly tell by the votes in the expert vs turbo poll that most players just prefer Expert Mode.
And new people get used to whatever mode they play first right away so what you say about them not being able to addept to Expert does not make any sence at all.

(li) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
twicecsupreme
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
twicecsupreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the server separation for different types of fights is a good idea and it will lower the lag there is in the servers, but wouldnt be easier to lower the amount of people a server can hold??.....some servers are empty most of the time and one is super crowded.....

Back on SFO and thirsty for BLOOD
twicecsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
joejoegun
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 18
joejoegun is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this idea isn't that great. To make of use of ALL of the servers, you need to have a limited number of people allowed in each server (About 25-30?). If people wanted to play with certain rules, they can just put timer and helpers off in their own host. If one server had special features (Different Colored Characters, Unlimited Helpers, or something else crazy) that would be cool.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
Bandit04
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Bandit04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with SSJKarma's ideas.

It would add some diversity to the game, instead the original servers doing exact things. (Currently, the only thing different about each server is lag..)

The only server currently different from the others is the SFO Tournament Server, which I mostly hang out in.
Bandit04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
MeteorRyu5
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2
MeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Nferno666 @ Oct. 22 2005,11:26)]it sounds like a good idea but the only thing i disagree on is a "chat only" server...the server along takes alot of CPU priority and i forone would not want to host a server that ppl can only chat in...
See, that's something I'm willing to do. If you don't want a chat only room, then that's fine with me..but I can host a chat room if you guys want, I have a really fast and good computer, and hosting the chat on my computer wont be a problem.

MeteorRyu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
SBYRD5
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 171
SBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura aboutSBYRD5 has a spectacular aura about

A classic server eh? sound interesting.

Maybe in a classic style match it'd be all skill.. less special to special combinations.
SBYRD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:51 PM   #15
y_09
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
y_09 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say have tourney server have everything off as its mainly used for tournament fights/clan wars and so on.
A problem with specific functions for certain servers is that half the time the servers are down, and when they're opened they are either packed, or you'll get "unable to connect" and then the server will get flooded.
I think if ALL the servers were open and accessable pretty much all the time, people would use them, and it'd reduce the lag. But if you force the game to be played in a specific server and its down, or you can't connect, or its just jam packed then it'll get flooded.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
Metal_Ken

Post Thanks / Like
Metal_Ken is an unknown quantity at this point

No Projectiles allowed server that would be real cool.
Metal_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #17
luis000
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 20
luis000 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i think it shoudl be just helpers off and timers off and at leve0

luis000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
y_09
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Metal_Ken @ Oct. 31 2005,10:21)]No Projectiles allowed server that would be real cool.
yes it would...the unused server could have that task, as long as its up and running and is accessable.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #19
Morph
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Morph is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the Classic Server idea, as for the rest-it really doesn't matter..
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #20
blanka09

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 103
blanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enoughblanka09 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (y_09 @ Oct. 31 2005,4:51)]I'd say have tourney server have everything off as its mainly used for tournament fights/clan wars and so on.
A problem with specific functions for certain servers is that half the time the servers are down, and when they're opened they are either packed, or you'll get "unable to connect" and then the server will get flooded.
I think if ALL the servers were open and accessable pretty much all the time, people would use them, and it'd reduce the lag. But if you force the game to be played in a specific server and its down, or you can't connect, or its just jam packed then it'll get flooded.
Actually, that's quite wrong. Recently... ALL servers have been running.

Even when one of the hosts had a problem, another one of us took the burden of hosting BOTH servers... so in retrospect, all servers are up for a reasonable amount of time.

The problem comes when people try to force themselves into ONE server, and then they find out it's full. They start sending us messages and emails saying they can't join any games.

That's why sometimes when there's a REAL problem, it's hard to know whether you guys are just being bothersome, or the game really has a problem

So, all the servers are usually open it's YOU guys that don't really make use of all of them.
blanka09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #21
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

for those who says things about expert mode, this is isn't th eplace to go and rant about how you want it by default if ya want that then go into that other thread.
this is about idea's to make servers more worth while !

ok as for that thing about people servers always full... thing is, nobody checks the other servers, they tries the first and if it doesn'T work brag about it. so its more about forcing them to choose a different server. as in making th echoice for them for all they want is play. and changing things in the servers isn't truly a way either since most of us just plays by our own rules. i like fair fights, not fight that starts with helpers off, timers off, 3 supers at start and the guy does a variable right in the start with double akuma and doing both rd at start to make sure i get nothing !

even worst, almost everytime i choose turbo as a mode because i hate expert, people just go away and not even want to fight anymore just because i didn't use what THEY want int he first place !

sorry but things like this makes this game pretty stupid in itself, fact is its not the games fault if you guys dislike everything. so we gotta things that will make sure people will like it and have a good experience. i'm sure if the servers had their own modes of play like tournament does, we would have a lot less lag on a server and a lot less players bragging that there gameplay is boring and unenjoyable !
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #22
limbei
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
limbei is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SSJKarma @ Nov. 02 2005,5:47)]
ok i finally see ur point SSJKarma...
i agree with u that if we set specific servers for specific gameplay n then educate the sfo gamers about the purpose of each server, there would be advantages.
Firstly, lesser random gamers congested in a server cos they will only go to the server which allows their preferred kind of gameplay, thus allowing better usage of the server. This will definitely improve the current situation where only the 1st server is usually full of gamers.
Secondly, i think that although many gamers may argue that they have been playing on sfo and thus have already adapt to the old kind of gameplay and stuff, this idea of specific server will definitely still work. Just look at that time where a server was created just so that ppl can fight with each other without any vip perks. i guess u get my idea? the server came out quite well
therefore, i agree that to maximise the usage of online servers,this idea would definitely help alot.
I would also like to put forth my idea of another special themed server prolly known as " the weekend east server"
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #23
Ryusavenge
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Ryusavenge is an unknown quantity at this point

well i think its a go idea, but make every server should automaticly be on expert mode. but i do agree with it but make it expert mode.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #24
y_09
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (blanka09 @ Nov. 01 2005,1:35)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (y_09 @ Oct. 31 2005,4:51)]I'd say have tourney server have everything off as its mainly used for tournament fights/clan wars and so on.
Actually, that's quite wrong. Recently... ALL servers have been running.

Even when one of the hosts had a problem, another one of us took the burden of hosting BOTH servers... so in retrospect, all servers are up for a reasonable amount of time.

The problem comes when people try to force themselves into ONE server, and then they find out it's full. They start sending us messages and emails saying they can't join any games.

That's why sometimes when there's a REAL problem, it's hard to know whether you guys are just being bothersome, or the game really has a problem

So, all the servers are usually open it's YOU guys that don't really make use of all of them.
note the keyword there being "RECENTLY"...
so what happens after a few weeks/months a server is down, now we can't expect them all to be up and running all the time, but in this case, for the specific server idea i think you would need all the servers to be up and running all the time otherwise all hell would break loose.