Black costumes Lanelo General Comments & Strategies 18 07-29-2006 10:33 AM

Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
#1sakurafan
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 16
#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is modding costumes in pc games illegal?

reason why i'm asking is because I want to mod some costumes for sf4ae but i'm scared that i'll lose my gamesforwindows account or something worse. A definite yes or no with an explanation of why or why not will be appreciated.

[img]
[img]
DONT YOU JUST LOVE PWNING AND OWNING BISON ^_^

http://jehovahswitnessnews.wordpress.com/
#1sakurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice
Default Re: Is modding costumes in pc games illegal?

by the company, yes it is because you actually modify original content which is against the copyright uses...

by the fans, you only modify something you already bought and as such should be ok doing.

official way of seeing it...
its against the copyrights and the liscense you paid for.
so i dont recommend doing it if its still to play on the net.
also, though you will be changing the charcaters appearances, ont he others computers it will be the normal character. because they dont have the charater skins you changed.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
#1sakurafan
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 16
#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point#1sakurafan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
by the company, yes it is because you actually modify original content which is against the copyright uses...

by the fans, you only modify something you already bought and as such should be ok doing.

official way of seeing it...
its against the copyrights and the liscense you paid for.
so i dont recommend doing it if its still to play on the net.
also, though you will be changing the charcaters appearances, ont he others computers it will be the normal character. because they dont have the charater skins you changed.
Ok I won't use modded chars to fight with online.

[img]
[img]
DONT YOU JUST LOVE PWNING AND OWNING BISON ^_^

http://jehovahswitnessnews.wordpress.com/
#1sakurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Omochao

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Omochao is an unknown quantity at this point

I mod all the time on SSFIV AE and I can still play online without danger of being banned :S It's pretty common to mod too...

Last edited by Omochao; 04-02-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Omochao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
EvilAkuma

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 20
EvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura about
Visit EvilAkuma's YouTube

You, as a consumer have the rights to whatever you want with the product. However, you may not sell, rent, or charge people for the content that you are providing. Look at Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the mixes, custom music. Did CAPCOM stepped in and say "Hey, that is ILLEGAL?"

As long as you're not affecting online game play. You are good to go. As long as you own a legitimate copy of the game and not an .ISO file and start modifying. Then, you'll be on the green zone.
EvilAkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

yeah right... believe me, its not because the company does nothing that it is legal.
dont be mad the day they decide to ban users for such content and you happen to be one of them.
for the rest its all up to you to decide if its worth the risk.
for my part, it is not.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
EvilAkuma

Post Thanks / Like
EvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura aboutEvilAkuma has a spectacular aura about

Karma,

Why is that you try too hard to find something negative? You trying too hard to begin with. Yet, you're not doing a great job at it.

1: The only company that is going to do the banning is Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. Not Infinityward, CAPCOM, NAMCO, etc. All they do is provide the game. Nothing else, nothing more. They don't provide servers, they don't provide usernames, they don't provide connections. All of that is done within the console's companies.

2: You are welcome to modify as LONG as you have a copy of the original game. Who are we to speak of, Karma? Look at this GAME! SFO..CAPCOM's property. Yet, you have the nerves to say something? Don't give me..."This is a fan base." Because, that is what a modification is...

We, are providing more than what a company can provide. If I want a new custom..By all means...let them do it as long as they are not reselling it, claiming their own product , and/or endorsing it. They don't care much.

Blizzard did an excellent job by providing us a TOOL for Starcraft to allow us..as a FAN to make our own custom games, maps, etc. So, other companies does not care as long as it's not harming another player from enjoying the game..

Speedgear was never an issue till it was exploited by other players...causing the game not to be enjoyable..At first...we didn't care how fast he/she was till everyone was using it and bypassing the game system...

So, Karma...before you decide to post. Think twice and then reply.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
LiquidSnake78

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 994
LiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really nice
Visit LiquidSnake78's Facebook

EA is right Karma ... Modding (esp - within PC games) are fine, as long as you do NOT attempt to create your own profit / claim as your own creation.

Look around yourself .. Even within Microsoft / Bungie (Halo), Mods are available, custom armor colors, guns, vehicles, edited maps (fairly).

It is when you alter with the online play, to where it becomes a problem.
Just as EA said, even speed gear wasn't a problem, (mostly recommended within private servers), until it became publicly used in massive servers.

I use to mod with Halo PC all the time, and even entered contests IN MICROSOFT / BUNGIE forums for best "custom skins" and "tricked out warhogs" (lol), some years back when Halo PC was at its peak and I had my own popular dedi-server. Till this day, it still happens.

I miss the halo nuke mod project ... Always had fun experimenting with it. (Youtube for some vids of it.)

^

Last edited by LiquidSnake78; 04-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.
LiquidSnake78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Cwing

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2647
Cwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the rough

To add to what liquid and ea are saying. Some companies even encourage "modding" skins and content of in-game models as long as it doesn't have a direct effect on the online play and give people a unfair advantage over others.

Hell, some companies even release mod tools the community for they can tinker with the game and make new maps/skins etc. btw one of the most popular games I fps history counter strike started out as a half life mod and look how that turned out.
Cwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 74
-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough

I have never know modding stuff in a PC game to be illegal, specially if you paid for it.

As long as you don't start messing with the online parts of the game, then you should be fine.

For the note, if all you did was change the texture colors of your characters...it will most likely be only seen on your screen and not your opponent's screen, as long as the file names remain constant.

Basically, on your own side...have fun. Bringing it to the online world and other users game...I would same hold on there.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

you know guys... you really need to go look at some copyrights liscensing to understand what im saying... but all fine... after all people go over the speed limit all the time, doesn'T mean a cop couldn'T tax you for going 53 in a 50 zone now can it ?

all i am saying is that the copyright liscense you are buying with the game stops you from modifying the game itself unless it was specifically said that you could. and as far as capcoms game goes, they never added that to their licsencing of the game.

this game here is a great exemple of that, we use old graphics we dont sell th egame, does that mean we're legal because capcom never came here to tell us ? nope it simply means right now they dont care. nothing ever tells us that they wont come at some point to close us down. but simply because its been years you guys consider that we are legal ! thats not the case...

same for any other games you buy, unless it was specifically designed for you to change around... you should never change it ! and to those saying we have tools to change things... i have a small problem with those tools, they weren'T created by the company itself. they were created by other people who wanted to change things !

the rest, think whatever you want, but thinking it wont make it a reality !
i said it often and i will say it again...
you want to change things reguardless of it all... your call not mine.
take the risk if you want, but that doesn't make it anymore legal.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
EvilAkuma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
you know guys... you really need to go look at some copyrights liscensing to understand what im saying... but all fine... after all people go over the speed limit all the time, doesn'T mean a cop couldn'T tax you for going 53 in a 50 zone now can it ?

all i am saying is that the copyright liscense you are buying with the game stops you from modifying the game itself unless it was specifically said that you could. and as far as capcoms game goes, they never added that to their licsencing of the game.

this game here is a great exemple of that, we use old graphics we dont sell th egame, does that mean we're legal because capcom never came here to tell us ? nope it simply means right now they dont care. nothing ever tells us that they wont come at some point to close us down. but simply because its been years you guys consider that we are legal ! thats not the case...

same for any other games you buy, unless it was specifically designed for you to change around... you should never change it ! and to those saying we have tools to change things... i have a small problem with those tools, they weren'T created by the company itself. they were created by other people who wanted to change things !

the rest, think whatever you want, but thinking it wont make it a reality !
i said it often and i will say it again...
you want to change things reguardless of it all... your call not mine.
take the risk if you want, but that doesn't make it anymore legal.
CAPCOM knows about Street Fighter Online. Hell, the reason they are NOT doing anything about is, is because it's a FAN based game. TmyApp isn't selling the game, he isn't claiming his or anything for that matters.

CAPCOM or any other publishers does not cares what you do to the game itself. Just like this vBulletin forum. It says YOU may not modify their content, their codes...yet, we add modifications, skins, etc, etc. Do you see vBulletin shutting down websites? They get ideas from us. It's what makes the game better and better. From us, the fans, our work.

They added a lot of quotes from IFC Yipes to UMvC3 because it brought hype to the scene. They added a Mango Sentinel because of the remixes on Marvel vs Capcom 2. They didn't got the idea from the DEVs. They got it from the community.

That's the whole reason why companies are adding new stuff or custom. Because of us. But, you think that adding a skin is illegal. Yet, everything we buy...we modify...Agendas, car, your body, your console, your food, etc...

CAPCOM will NOT arrest you for modifying their disc. Afterall, once you buy it. You have LEGAL rights to do what you want. Again, the only thing you can't do is SELL, RENT, or make profit out of it.

Just like buying a music disc. You can make DUPLICATE copies to yourself. Yet, you can't resell it or claim it's yours or any of that matters.

Here, you decide to post and be like "You're going to get arrested.. because you added a skin to RYU.hahaha." Sadly, it won't happen.

Look at the iPhone when it got hacked. Did the boy got arrested? Na...to be honest..Apple was like "****...We need to patch this up." Yet, it's in their agreement not to alter the phone or codes..

But, then again..Karma is going to dig harder to find something to say.

Last edited by EvilAkuma; 04-13-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #13
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 176
FadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished road

haha karma doesn't wanna admit he's wrong
eager to see if he can dig deeper lol