SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video games feature ads for Obama's campaign Killer General 14 10-26-2008 04:06 AM
Marching Band and Video Games system4 Links 2 03-23-2008 11:57 PM
So, why do you play video-games? Zpower General 179 04-20-2007 10:10 PM
Playing video games for a livng SBYRD5 General 3 05-30-2006 07:04 AM
What r some video games u recommed {TSS}blazeboy RaNdOm iNsAnItY 11 03-19-2006 02:35 PM

Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
(SXA)crip

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 45
(SXA)crip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After Newtown, some shoppers think twice about violent video games

Quote:
(CNN) -- For many families this holiday season, video games will come wrapped in colorful paper, ribbons and bows -- and lots of questions.

inevitably, in the wake of the tragic school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, video games have become part of the national conversation about the roots of violence.
Full Story...

Thoughts?

I think that this argument is complete B.S.!, they said the shooter enjoyed playing star craft..., if they think that game caused him to go on a rampage, then so be it but I think that its a bit deeper than a game that caused this tragic event.

Last edited by (SXA)crip; 12-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.
(SXA)crip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 74
-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: After Newtown, some shoppers think twice about violent video games

Bull****.

#amDone.
-Elite_Ken- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
frognap

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
frognap is an unknown quantity at this pointfrognap is an unknown quantity at this point

games do not create violence, nor do they brainwash people into killing machines.
if a person is influenced by games, then that person probably had deep and disturbing mental isseus before it happened, or maybe even a mental handicap.

live by the age ratings, die by the age ratings.
and parrents are the most fit people to know if their son and daughter is ready for such games.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
LiquidSnake78

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 994
LiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really niceLiquidSnake78 is just really nice
Visit LiquidSnake78's Facebook

Not even in GTA (which is as real as it can get), will you get the idea of going into a school, and going on a killing spree ...

^
LiquidSnake78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Mayhem4Lyfe
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 57
Mayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura aboutMayhem4Lyfe has a spectacular aura about

smh.....there is no excuse for bad parenting....if these ppl payed more attention to their kids, and talked to them. they wouldn't have to worry about these types of incidents......now they looking to point the finger at the video game industry typical.
Mayhem4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 54
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

guns, mental illness, violent video games

whats next...
divorce? Don't get divorced or else your kids will go on shooting sprees!!

it's also a hilarious article. Omg a mother doesn't want to get her 9 year old kids CoD. Get the press!!!
she shouldn't be getting her 9 year old kids CoD regardless of what happened in newtown.

And in the end, the article sums up by having everyone say video games aren't to blame... lol

Last edited by masterbob; 12-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
masterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Cwing

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2647
Cwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the rough

They need to stop blaming video games and start blaming themselves for poor parenting.
Cwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

the whole environment makes us who we are...
video games is part of what we are, but such a small part in the end that its not just that. th eshooting hapenned mainly cause its easy to get a gun now a days.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
x~Silver~x
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3
x~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enough

completely disagree i dont think games have anything to do with people going around shooting people and killing the innnocent unless they are crazy + crazy in love with viloent games o.0, other i feel people in the world just feel better when they have something to blame horrible situations on

Achievements:
SDC 2k11Champion
Clan Leader of Marvel Inc
Best Ryu Of 2011
Xmas Ghost Winner (Event)
x~Silver~x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
~TR~Robert
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 83
~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about~TR~Robert has a spectacular aura about
Visit ~TR~Robert's Facebook

If this were to be true then i would have Raging Demon the assh*** who hit my car the other day cause i play street fighter....

~TR~Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 176
FadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished road

Parents need to teach their kids the difference between a video game and real life, and this suddenly becomes a non-issue.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Orlando0

Post Thanks / Like
Orlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the rough
Visit Orlando0's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_wing View Post
They need to stop blaming video games and start blaming themselves for poor parenting.
This

Effing hate the media putting the blame on video games.

Send me a PM if you decide to add me on PSN, so I don't mistake you for a random Friend seeker.
Want to know what is the music played in SFO?
Orlando0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6331
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Sadly not one thing they have blamed, Video Games, Guns, Mental Issues are to blame. I remember when colombine happened and they tried to blame everything but what the real issue was and thats bad parenting.

Video Games

Have never been a cause for violence in any case.

Guns

Still not the guns fault its the guy who bought the gun and went to kill people with it.

Mental Issues

The guy was well minded enough to buy a gun and kill people there is no issue here of mental illness its just a guy who wanted to kill people end of story. They need to stop making it out to be some other issues or try figuring out why he did what he did and just accept he was an idiot who wanted to kill people.
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
FadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished road

He should of been in a mental hospital man. Numerous people were already reporting him before the shooting. Even his own shrink said he shouldn't be out with the public, but it was all being ignored and these are the results.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

I know many people who by your definition should then be at the hospital and not playing here.
the reality and fantasy difference has no relevance here. the person has all the relevance.

exemple...
back in my school days even in primary school... i was bullyed as hell by the school i was in.
when i tryed to get to the people who could help me, all they were telling me was to let it go, it will stop. but it didn't and i had to endure for 6 ****ing years. then in secondary school. the same problem happenned. getting laughed at, getting picked at, getting bumped into my own footlocker... why did i start fighting at school in secondary school 3rd year. because of video games ?

no, simply because nobody wanted to help me.
thats it, there is nothing else to blame it on. the pure truth is, people dont care. and when they do, this happens. somewhere a kid snaps and bad things happens. thats it, blaming it on something else is just diluting the problem even more.

my best friend tryed to suicide in front of me...
like he invited me for a party, but the same morning he took all of his pills and ate them all. then during the night where the party hapenned at his house... the alcool took him down. the next day at the hospital, if it wasn't for me being there (not counting his parents of course) i'm quite sure he would of tryed a third time without failling. and to know he got another 3 years of hell after that... he had all reasons to comit suicide a third time... but he didn't... because i was there for him.

you can blame everything on video games but it wont change the fact that people cries for help when they really need it. this is what happens when they dont get any or are being ignored.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 164
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

Yeah people are just crazy. I dont' buy the mental problems thing because it seems like anyone can have a "mental problem" when they commit a crime.

If i'm sad because my puppy died and go out and kill 50 random people i'm sure they'll diagnose me with some kind of mental issue

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like

@ karma, That was deep of you to share such information. I got mad respect for that bro-ski. I totally agree with all your points.

It kind of point to what Obama was saying in his speech at Newtown. We aren't doing a good enough job as a society to prevent tragedies like this from happening.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
frognap

Post Thanks / Like
frognap is an unknown quantity at this pointfrognap is an unknown quantity at this point

@ssjkarma, i can relate with the bullying for years and no help story. had the same.

but the truth is, if you kill somebody for fun, for revenge, for any reason at all that is not being in the army and legal instances protecting something... your mind is destroyed or damaged. you will always have an abnormal mental condition just before you do it and when it happens.

when it comes to kids learning the wrong valleus in life... from videogames... then the parrents are the people to blame. there is no way to deny that.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
(SXA)crip

Post Thanks / Like

For sake of the situation...Go ahead, Blame it on games, Yet keep in mind that games have a ESRB rating. (remember that for the situation)
Walk into game stop wanting to buy SmackDown Vs. Raw 2006., You have the money, but You were alone, remember the rating for that game is Teen, so walk into the store with the money, and the clerk says "sorry, cannot sell it to you w/ out a parent." It is obvious that it is a wresting game, (wresting itself.. is fake =/) and the man knows that it is appealing to CHILDREN, yet he is not allowed to sell it to CHILDREN.
IF the parent buys it knowing that it MAY cause me to go hit someone the next day with a steel chair, then whos fault is it? The game developers or The parents or The Child in the situation?

The answer is pretty obvious. Now relate that to this situation, for example as L.S Said, GTA,
(now you're probably thinking the man was mature enough to know right from wrong, but the man also had a type of autism, The primary care taker is the parent, so if the parent is going to let the child with the mental illness next to a FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLE, THATS BAD PARENTING- Simple Nuff said

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
frognap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognap View Post
when it comes to kids learning the wrong valleus in life... from videogames... then the parrents are the people to blame. there is no way to deny that.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
(SXA)crip

Post Thanks / Like

Just provided a situation gosh

Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
frognap

Post Thanks / Like

sorry bad habbit, this happens when i reply to fast.
i thought it was directed as an answer to my post. no pun intended.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
(SXA)crip

Post Thanks / Like

its cool

Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

frognap, say what you want...
the choice is always yours, never has it ever been in your parents hands.
that kid chose to weild the weapon, not his parents, you can blame his parents all you want for it. but in the reality of things, he's the one who took the gun, his choice, his decision. same for everyone trying to suicide... there choice, nobody forced them to do it or attempt it, they did it on themselves, they chose that situation cause they thought it was their only choice.

my parents taught me well, and many of those cases , the parents have done nothing to warrant the kid to do this. but like all parents trying to protect their childs, they will blame it on video games, the school, the system and never push it to their sons.

my brother was raised the very same as me, of antyhing he got more attentions then i had...
he ended up, drugged, stealing, even going as far as making cops run for their money ! we were raised int he very same school, the very same video games, the very same course of actions. even the same friends you can say. yet i didn't end up like this !

so no, i will never believe that parents are responsible for their child shooting somebody.
nor will i believe the kid to have simply *did what the game did* thats just BS. it was the kids choice, final... nothing else to say. now could someone see this coming yes... now could someone actually try to help him when he needed, yes to that too. did they all ignore his plea... probably !

thats how it is... its not just one thing that made him do this... the choice came after a long time. nobody spontaneously decide to kill on a whim just cause they want to. it always came because of something else. did anybody even tryed to understand why he did it ? no, they all points finger at him shooting things then blame it on video games. nobody is even trying to understand why he did it. why did he chose that specific place, why did he chose that specific gun.

the why it hapenned is far more important then what caused him to go wrong.

i'll quote a mother here who saw her child girl suicide at her school cause she was bullied and all...

reporter:"you didn't get past her suicide ?"
the mother:"of course not, but... it was her choice cannot be helped... the act has no importance though, why she taught it was her only option is ! I ask people to focus on that !"
Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 54
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger Zero View Post
Sadly not one thing they have blamed, Video Games, Guns, Mental Issues are to blame. I remember when colombine happened and they tried to blame everything but what the real issue was and thats bad parenting.

Video Games

Have never been a cause for violence in any case.

Guns

Still not the guns fault its the guy who bought the gun and went to kill people with it.

Mental Issues

The guy was well minded enough to buy a gun and kill people there is no issue here of mental illness its just a guy who wanted to kill people end of story. They need to stop making it out to be some other issues or try figuring out why he did what he did and just accept he was an idiot who wanted to kill people.
you clearly know nothing about this incident...
The kid did not buy the guns. His mother bought the guns. He simply took them and did what he did.

Guns are an issue. Not so much banning guns entirely, but why would a civilian ever need a military grade (or close to) rifle WITH 100+ rounds of ammunition?

Funny thing, I read an article about how the shooter was into gun and loved playing CoD in the windowless basement and had posters of guns up and could name them etc. They also said his brother was just the same, but his brother did not go on a shooting spree. At best, a child's video game behavior could be a simple indicator of them having some sort of issue, along with other evidence, and not a cause.

Karma, I believe the parent is to blame in this case. The mother bought all those guns for her home. Why would a mother buy all these expensive guns when she knows her child has aspergers or some other developmental deficiency? Better yet, why does she go on vacations and leave him at home alone with these weapons? I believe that is irresponsible, and she paid for it with her life...